Pages

Monday, February 28, 2022

Good times

We had more fun in Las Vegas than you would expect from people who hate Las Vegas.

On Thursday, Adam picked me up from school and we headed south.  We got to our hotel at bedtime and I was tired.  I usually don't sleep that well in a hotel, but I did that night.

Friday the first game was at 9:00 AM.  We got there early.  I had pretty good seats next to this crowd.

Charlotte, Ruby, Olivia and Savannah and my parents in the row behind.

Charlotte is in third grade so we talked fractions. (Yeah, I'm the "fun" aunt.)

The first quarter of the game was a little stressful:  7-7 by the end of it.  Then things got warmed up and Elko pulled ahead and all was well.

We all (sans Enoch and Luke and Isaiah) had lunch at IHOP.  Boston wanted chocolate chip pancakes and no one was prepared to deny that cutie anything.

Adam and I went back to our hotel and he did some work and I took a nap, then we went to Home Depot.  We are in home renovation mode.  We met up with my parents for dinner (burgers because that is what my dad wants, always and forever).

Saturday morning was Floor and Decor and Lumber Liquidators.  We are maybe getting closer to a decision but probably not.  Driving to stores took us through more normal neighborhoods and it's good to see another side of Las Vegas away from the strip and personal injury billboards and all the ick that abounds.

The state championship game was at 11:50 and I had the best seat in the house next to Boston.





At one point I told him he was a silly boy.  He said I was a silly mom.  He is such a cutie and I enjoyed sitting by him.  I did have to tell Tabor, who was sitting right behind us, to stop riling him up because he was going to get in trouble with his mom.  

Uncles....

In the game, it became quickly obvious that Elko was the better team.  Isaiah scored 6 three pointers and a few others besides.  He goes to the gym and stays until makes 300 three pointers every night.  It shows.

We loved cheering on Isaiah and Luke and the whole team.  One of their teammates is the son of a girl I went to high school with (a few years younger), another one is the niece of a girl Marianne played basketball against.  I saw Aurora who I grew up with and hadn't seen in probably 20 years.  Elko isn't as small of a town as the one I grew up in, but it is still a small town.

 Jennifer introduced me to someone as Enoch's sister and she said, "Oh, I can tell."

I said, "..."

Like I told Enoch, it's not that you aren't a handsome man.  I just don't want to look like you.

Elko hadn't won state championship since 1981 so victory was sweet.  Here are the boys getting their medals.  

Isaiah

Luke

And the champions!


There was a lot of clapping and cheering and hugging out in the sunshine.  I love this family:

Jennifer, Boston, Luke, Savannah, Isaiah and Enoch

I don't look like him, right?  6' 8"?  Big beard?  No resemblance, right?  Right?!?

It was never quite as warm in Las Vegas as I would have liked (in the upper 50s and I was looking for weather in the 70s).

When we stopped for dinner at Subway in Beaver on the way home and it was 9 degrees, I was sorry for ever complaining about the upper 50s.

I'm happy we were able to make the trip.  It is wonderful to see such hard work rewarded and it's wonderful to be with family.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails