Pages

Friday, April 22, 2022

Grateful Friday

I finished reading Beezus and Ramona to my class yesterday.  They loved it and wanted me to start reading Ramona the Pest immediately.

In the last chapter of Beezus and Ramona, it is Beezus's birthday and Ramona ruins two cakes that her mother is making.  Beezus is a conscientious child and is very troubled because she realizes that sometimes she doesn't love Ramona.  Her beloved aunt is over for dinner (and saves the day with a bakery cake).  When she sees her mom and Aunt Beatrice interact, she sees how much they love each other and it makes her feel bad that she doesn't feel the same way about Ramona.

Over dinner, the mom and Aunt Beatrice start talking about fights they had as children.  Beezus is equal parts horrified and delighted.  She realizes that it's OK if she doesn't always love Ramona all the time and that someday, they will be able to look back on the exasperating moments fondly.

I told my students that my siblings are some of my best friends now and I told them anecdotes about tying Enoch up with jumprope on the front porch when we were babysitting and Marianne and me pulling each other to the floor by our hair.  They were equal parts horrified and delighted.

They told me stories about their siblings and how awful they were.  I promised they would be friends some day.

I'm grateful for siblings.  I'm grateful for my own siblings.  I love how supported and understood they make me feel.  I love that we pray for each other.  I love that we love each other.

I am grateful my children love each other.  They rally around each other and feel deep love and sympathy when one is in distress.  

Families:  what a wonderful support system they are.  Beverly Cleary understood that and it resonates with children today even though Beezus and Ramona was written in 1955.

Some things are timeless.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails