Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Living my best (teacher) life

Yesterday a student's coat was starting to unzip from the bottom and she was in a panic.  I remember being small and having my coat zipper deconstruct and how that felt like the end of days.  I was able to work it down enough that she could step out of the coat.  Then I fought with it while I was working on elapsed time with several students at my desk, trying to read upside down with my glasses that feel like I'm in a fun house (they are getting better though).  

It was a whole scene.

One of my students who struggles in every subject reached her hand across the desk, indicating she wanted the coat.  I handed it to her and she fixed it and handed it back to me along with a look of supreme satisfaction.  No words were exchanged, just her awesomeness.  You can never discount their talents and abilities.  

Another one of them told me she liked my new glasses.  I texted Emma about it, because this student is a fashion icon so her praise mattered.

My really tough child has ramped up his misbehavior in new and exciting ways.  He makes defiance an art form.  It was 28 degrees at lunch time (winter is not finished with us yet) and I reminded one of them to take his jacket.  This student, the little angel, looked at me with his signature defiance and took his own jacket off.  He looked at me like he challenged me to do anything about it.

I said, "It's cold outside.  You will want your coat."

He said, "I won't."

And he didn't even knock on the door because he was cold (I was admittedly was kind of hoping he would, so I could say I told you so).   He is a champion at defiance.  More proof I shouldn't discount their various talents.

Another one who is equal parts naughty and so very cute and penitent when he gets caught, came to me concerned that his necklace was broken.  



I said that if I had wire, I could fix it.  I said, "I have some at home."

He solemnly handed me the necklace and said, "Take it home and I will tell my mom."

I fixed it, trying to channel my dad.  And I also tried to treat it with the same reverence its owner does.



Some days, most days, I feel exhausted when it is all said and done.  I feel trusted too though and I endeavor to live up to that.  I am entrusted with children and zippers and necklaces.  I try to make their days good ones.  I try to keep the impatience out of my voice.  (I don't always succeed at that one.)

And occasionally, I feel like I'm winning.

I wrote for them a sign I saw at a business recently.


"Check us out on Facebook"

We have prizes, contest's and more! 


I said, "What is wrong with this sign?  Why did it cause me pain?"

One of them said, "You don't need quotation marks."

Another said, "The contest doesn't own anything."

And another one said, "It caused you pain?"

I said, "Yes.  And I'm glad you know better so you won't make signs like that."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails