Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2022

I get by with a little help from my friends

The dismissal bell rings at 2:15.  My students get out of specialties at 2:10.  We high-tail it back to class and don coats and backpacks and they head out.

Yesterday, we were walking by the first grade classrooms on our way back from PE.  One of my little boys threw up.

A nearby boy started gagging.  The sick student gave me the panic stricken, what do I do now look.

I simultaneously needed to do four things.

1) take care of the sick student

2) warn the first grade classes about the hall before the stampede of dismissed students came out

3) alert the office/custodians

4) get my class out the door

Happily, two aides came down the hall, on their way home.  I asked them for help, sending one to the first grades and one to the office.  I rushed my students back to the classroom and then out the door and then I went back for the sick student (I had sent him to the first grade bathroom).

It all worked out.  I even had a boy stay behind in the classroom while I went to get the sick student, because my student who has autism refuses to leave until I have hugged them.  The boy stayed to keep the hugger company while they waited for their hug.

It takes a village.  

3 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

Wow! When I feel like things are a little hectic, I'll get strength from your example. You are so capable!

Marianne said...

You're amazing!

Mark Dahl said...

You're a star, Thelma.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails