Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Back at it

Yesterday I had a Christmas tree waiting for them.  It's small, but decorated with apples and also their names made out of scrabble tiles.  The little Christmas village was set up (by Mark).  Our kids made up a whole back story about each person in the village when they were younger.  My students stare at it and I tell them no touching.  I had an advent calendar and everyone got a Christmas themed eraser.  I have the elf door, with a student's picture behind it.  A few of them wrote tiny notes and put them in the elf mailbox.  I have three other tiny trees and a snowman.  I played Christmas music softly when they came in yesterday morning.  I read them The Amazing Christmas Extravaganza.  My aim is to create a cozy Christmas.  I want a happy place for all of us to spend our days.

It doesn't feel like enough.  Untangling the messes in their families is heartbreaking.  It seems like every day I learn about some new tragedy in their little lives.

My weak attempt at Christmas cheer feels pathetic but also really important.  I don't know what kind of mess they're in when they aren't at school, but today we're reading Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree and I'll play Christmas music.  There will be a spot of cheer.  

It isn't enough, but it's something.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Sounds happy

Olivia Cobian said...

This makes me cry. You're doing such an important work!

Mark Dahl said...

You're doing a great job, Thelma. All you can do is make school as happy as possible when they are there. You can't do much about what is going on at home. But you are making school wonderful for them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails