Pages

Friday, December 22, 2023

Grateful Friday

No more homework!  No more books!  No more teacher's dirty looks!

Even though I am the teacher, it is so nice to have Christmas break.  When you are a teacher, you have the same elation at school holidays you had as a kid, which is pretty great.

Yesterday we had the Jingle Jam which was something Matt brought to our school and it was really fun.  We used to have a practice Christmas Sing for the rest of the school.  Instead of that, this year we had the Jingle Jam.  The kids could wear pjs and we gathered in the gym, somewhat in a circle.  We stood up and performed for each other where we were seated.  It was fun to see the other classes and in between we had Minute to Win it games for the teachers.  Miriam and I won at Pictionary which was very exciting because I am abysmal at that sort of thing except Pictionary.  The only coordination I have mastered is my left hand holding a writing implement.  The third grade as a whole lost their minds cheering for us.  Such an easy crowd.

After everyone went home for the day, Miriam came in my classroom and we cried together for a minute because she had found out more tragic news of a student's family.

It is heartbreaking because we care, but I am so grateful to work somewhere like that and with people who care so much.

I'm grateful Mark came about an hour after the students left with lunch and helped me take down my Christmas decorations and carry things to the car.  While climbing up on a chair to reach the top of the bulletin board, he said, "You know how sometimes high school students help in elementary classrooms?  They should have the basketball players do that.  It seems like a good match to have someone with an 8 foot vertical reach."

He's not wrong.

After a month off while an insurance snafu was resolved, I had physical therapy yesterday.  I'm grateful I could resume.  It makes a difference.

I'm grateful for the next week.  I'm going to love spending time with our family.  

I'm grateful to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.  The Gospel gives me hope and purpose and belonging and peace.  The older I get the wider my net of worries seems to be cast.  When I can back up and remember where my faith is, it helps.

Merry Christmas to you and yours dear reader!  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails