Pages

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Grandma goals

Adam writing a Christmas memory about his grandparents on Christmas Eve, prompted me to recall a Christmas with my Grandma.  

I know she stayed with us the first year we were in our new house and I can't remember if this memory is from that first Christmas, or another subsequent Christmas.  

At around 4:00 AM, my sisters and I were awake and excited and scrabbling around.  It woke my grandma up.  We were old enough to feel regret about that.  She said, "Oh, it's OK. I'm a light sleeper," like it was not our fault at all, but hers.

She went downstairs and fetched a present from under the tree.  It was the game Aggravation. While my parents and brothers slept in the next rooms, she taught us how to play. The novelty of playing a board game in the predawn hours on Christmas morning will forever be in my memory.

When my grandma visited, she brought the fun (and also fun size Snickers bars and black cherry Shasta soda).  We played games she taught us around the table.  She sang to us and with us.  She admired every inane thing we ever created.

I loved going to my grandma's house during the Christmas season.  It was always decked out in holiday cheer.  I inherited a few of her glass ornaments that I didn't put on our tree.  They are too precious especially when I have a toddler around.  I also ended up with all the Christmas gifts I gave her and she mostly wanted things that lit up or played music.

Yesterday I wound up a little train/snowglobe/music box situation and held it for QE to see.  She marveled at the falling snow and said, "bugs."  No, little California girl, snow.  She pointed to Santa on the train and said, "Ho ho ho!" and "All aboard!"  She bounced a little to the music and waited expectantly for me to wind it again when the music stopped.

I understand why my grandma wanted Christmas decorations that were more spectacular than serene.  It was for her grandchildren.

And I aspire to be like her.  If QE ever wakes me up early on Christmas morning.  I hope I'll have a game ready.


1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Beautiful post! I am going to read Adam's now. I always love his writing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails