Pages

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Back at it

It was so great to be back at school!

After school Miriam and Hannah and I were meeting in my classroom and Matt stopped by and said, "You're all together!"

It was the first time since Halloween that we had all three been at school.

(And Hannah seemed like she was getting sick so it may be a one day only situation.)

Jamie and Holly and Miriam and Hannah all asked about my mom.  I love my friends.

I forgot to mark attendance and I told the secretary I was sorry and maybe I actually forgot how to be a teacher.

My students lost their minds over the decorations, which I loved.  

They stared and stared at the Christmas village Emma set up.  Then someone wanted to know, "Why is NO ONE looking at Santa?"


They also wondered where Rudolph was.

Everyone is a critic.

In phonics I reviewed vowel r syllables with them.  I said that when the vowel is before the r, the r controls the sound of the vowel.  

One of the boys raised his hand and said, "So what you're saying is that the r is the man?"

I said, "No, that is absolutely not what I am saying."

Sheesh.

Then he sort of read the room (and my tone, honestly) and said, "The vowel is the girl and so ladies first?"

I said, "When the vowel is before the r, the vowel and the r make a single sound."

A girl said, "How about we don't have it be about boys and girls?"

I said, "Yes. Good idea."

And we moved on.

Sometimes I'm glad they come to school so I can let them know what isn't actually OK.

We made ornaments (out of the cups) and listened to Christmas music while we did it.  (I thought I had the same kind of cups and I didn't.  It was a fail and we will try again.)

We practiced with the whole third grade singing our song for the Christmas sing.

I read them a Christmas story for read aloud time.  It's the most wonderful time of the year!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails