Pages

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Trying to hold it all (and sometimes dropping it)

There is a juxtaposition of effervescent frivolity and heaviness at school.  It's a lot to hold.

On the one hand, we've got Christmas coming!  We did Christmas mad libs, which they loved.  I answered the question 5 million times, "Now what is a plural noun?"

"It's more than one of a noun. Like desks.  Or puppies."

"Ohhhhh."

We did the Christmas Sing and I mortified my students by dropping all the cue cards (they're slick and laminated) while we were leaving the stage.  I was also gathering up all the big pink peppermints and trying to get one of my students (who hadn't gone on stage, but had instead been curled in the fetal position on the other side of the stage) to come.  It was more than I could manage.

Matt was standing right there and he helped pick them up and two moms scurried up from the front row and picked up cards and it was less 30 seconds and didn't embarrass me at all--I clearly was just trying to hold too many things--but my students were embarrassed.  "In front of our parents!" they moaned.

It made me laugh.  

It also made me laugh when I was having them write letters to Santa during writing time.  They were supposed to pick a villain and then make up reasons why he or she wasn't really so bad and Santa should give them a present after all.

They were excited by the project and I was playing Christmas music and we were all having a fine time.  One of my students came up to me with an urgent question.  She had written her letter in her newly minted cursive.  "Can Santa read cursive?"

I said yes.

They wondered if they could deliver the letters to the villains.  I said, "Well, they aren't actually...real."  (Most of them were Disney villains like Ursula or Scar.). 

One student said, "If it was live action, we could give it to the person who is playing the part."

I said yes.  Do that.  

They entertain me.

And break my heart.  I have two students who have just felt off lately.  One suddenly has sort of a different personality and one has school work that has just tanked.

I went to the office to ask Camie, who knows everything, if she knew what was up.  She did.  Their families are in crisis.  Both families.  So much crisis.  You can add that to my other perpetually struggling friend. And it isn't just my class.  Miriam and I tear up sometimes talking about some of their stories.  It fractures me a little.

For part of our curriculum we learn about different cultures so Christmas traditions are a great way to do that.  When we talk about our own Christmas traditions, some of their faces cloud.  They aren't sure about gifts or a tree.  "We don't eat anything different for Christmas."

I know there are students at our school who aren't looking forward to the holiday.  They prefer school where there is food and warmth and predictability.  (Even when your teacher humiliates you by dropping all the cue cards.)

It is a lot to hold.

I saw this by Lisa Jo Baker:

I doubt it was a silent night...

Mary, a first time mom stranded far from home likely wailed in pain.

What I'm saying is...

You are in really good company if your Christmas includes pain and tears and homesickness.

Because there was also - "A thrill of hope"


I was wondering how we can do silly things like Christmas mad libs and our advent calendar and Christmas Sing when so many of them are experiencing such hard things in their lives.

Then I wonder, how can we not?

For unto us a Child is born.  Unto us a Son is given.

It's the best news for everyone and a very good reason to celebrate, especially when things are tough.

A weary world rejoices.

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

Thinking of your students in hard situations brings tears to my eyes, but I am so grateful they get to have YOU for their teacher!

Marianne said...

This is beautiful! Love you so!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails