Pages

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Sick day

 I am home today.  Sick.  So much for bragging about my immune system and the benefits of Wellness Formula.

I'm out of Wellness Formula, by the way, but I've ordered more from Amazon.

My voice was no better yesterday than it was the day before plus I felt worse.  It was the kind of day that was easier to go to school than create lesson plans.  Sometimes lesson plans aren't that daunting on the fly, but the second day back from break, they seemed hard.

School was also hard.

I wrote a note on the board for them to start on their math review that we do every morning and they were all silent.  They think they can't talk when I don't talk and it is kind of a beautiful thing.

We got through our day pretty well.  We have been reading a story about the Solar System so I had them go on Epic and read books about planets.  They loved that and some of them took copious notes.

They also loved Pictionary spelling.  Every day we practice their spelling words and then the actual test is on Friday.

Usually I say the word, they write it on their white boards then hold them up and I say either yes or no and they look around and correct their spelling as needed.

Yesterday I drew the words on the board.  They are all vowel r words and we had already practiced them one day so they were pretty good at guessing.  Stairs.  Large. Thirst.  (I drew a dramatic stick figure crawling toward a glass of water.)

They worried about me.  One of them asked, "Do you think you should get checked out?"

I said, "Yes.  Maybe I'll call my mom to come and pick me up."

At lunch I went in the office to ask Matt if I should get a sub for today or just see how I felt later.  He wasn't there, having gone outside for recess duty to relieve the aides because it was so cold.  What a guy!

I asked my question and all three secretaries said, "Yes!  Get a sub!  Now!"

So I did.

They asked if I was leaving then.  (My voice made me sound like my days and maybe hours were numbered.). But I said no.  The afternoons aren't that hard because they have specialties.

For writing I got a Henri Matisse print from the library and had them use adjectives to describe it.  Not wanting to talk made me a more creative teacher, I think.

During P.E., I wrote sub plans and made copies and left early.  

Today my plan is to do nothing.  My mom told me to get a good book and stay warm.  I can do that.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails