Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Back at it

 Yesterday was another lovely day at The Home Place.  I walked with my sisters (my mom went to Salt Lake so she wasn't around), worked on my course, listened to birds.

In the afternoon Hannah and Aunt Olivia came by.  Aunt Olivia hadn't seen the house since we did our renovations.  It was fun to visit with them for awhile.  Hannah and I shared our love of the Merlin ID app.  I know very little about birds, but I want to know more.

She said, "When are you moving here full time?  Ten years?"

I said, "I don't know.  Probably more like fifteen."

She said, "OK, I'm going to say fifteen so if you come earlier I will be happy.  In fifteen years, we are going to be bird watchers together."

I can picture us with hiking boots and binoculars and big shady old lady hats tramping around watching birds.

I could do worse.

Adam and I headed back to Utah in the late afternoon.  We didn't even listen to a podcast (besides the very beginning of one of his Supreme Court podcasts he wanted me to hear) but talked the whole time.  I dropped him off at the airport and came home.

It is at once familiar and jarring.  The jarring part is that in our Nevada utopia, I don't have to worry about grocery shopping because I take all the food.  I don't have to worry about laundry because we don't have a washer and drier.  I don't have to worry about watering plants or going through the mail or a lot of things.

I'm confronted with all of it today.  And some of my plants are definitely giving me side eyes because they are so thirsty.

My grandma Jaynes always used to say, "It's good to go and it's good to be home."

I (mostly) agree.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails