Pages

Monday, June 17, 2024

Weekend

Father's Day is a good time to remember how grateful I am for all the fathers in my life who influence me.

First always, is my own dad.  Whatever I ask him to do, he seems to be able to make it happen.  No one has more confidence in me (Here, drive my excavator that you have no idea how to drive) or willingness to give me his opinion when he thinks I'm being ridiculous.  I have also always appreciated his righteous example.

I'm grateful for Adam's dad.  What a good man!  He immediately made me feel welcome in the Davis family and he taught his sons to be good fathers.

I'm grateful for all of our grandfathers.  They laid the groundwork for the opportunities Adam and I had in life as well as the opportunities we were in turn able to give our children.

I'm grateful for Adam.  At his most basic level, that man is supportive.  If you have a dream and you want help achieving it, he's your guy.

And I'm glad he's my guy.

When Braeden was three years old, he watched Into the Woods and he wanted to have all his friends meet at our stake center and put on a play and he wanted to be the witch.

It has been his dream role ever since, but I think the role he was actually destined to play is father.  I love watching him.

What a good invention fathers were!

I was asked to teach Sunday School to fill in for a teacher who was sick.  So that was a little (or a lot) stressful.  When I was thinking about Alma's question, "Have ye received his image in your countenance?" I thought about going to my Uncle Richard's 70th birthday party on Saturday.

When Richard came into the room where we were all waiting to surprise him, he immediately sat down because he was feeling dizzy and tears filled his eyes when he saw everyone.  We sang Happy Birthday to him and then his grandchildren, some of them were from out of state and had come for the party, ran up to greet him.  

My uncle has never had great health or wealth or power. I think most people who didn’t really know him would think he has lived a pretty unremarkable life.  But he is the kind of person that his grandchildren run to when they see him.  I felt like that was a little glimpse of seeing God’s countenance in someone.
When I got home from church Braeden called me.  He and QE were the only two in nursery so he called to chat while she played (after awhile I switched the call to FaceTime so I could chat with QE.  I read her a book and sang her some songs).  I was telling Braeden a little about Richard's party and he said that reminded him of their friend George.  George is in his 70s and is blind.  He has had a rough life but is now a beloved member of their ward.  Braeden said that he and Anna had watched Batman and they told George because they knew it would make him happy.

Braeden said, "I know George would love to watch a movie.  It would make his life so much richer if he could do something like that.  But he was so hyped that we had watched Batman.  He kept saying, 'So you watched Batman!'"

What an amazing thing, to be happy for someone when they get something you can't have!


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails