Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Bears part 9

First some period shots from 2004.

Don't you just love pictures of shorty toddlers putting ornaments on a tree?


Especially when they have red curly hair and saggy diapers?


Apparently I do. I still wish I had shorty toddlers running around...but only when it's time to be cute...not at the other times.

Alderwood is (sadly) the disfavored of the Christmas bears. Her arrival was tainted. I (foolishly—but I learned my lesson) inserted myself into the bear acquisition business. I thought it would be fun to go to Build-A-Bear and well, build a bear for Christmas. All the kids could be involved. It would be a favorite memory, “Remember when we made that bear?”

It was not to be. Back then, Adam had a habit of cleaning the van every Saturday. In this maddening weekly cleaning spree he’d take Mark’s umbrella stroller out of the back of the van and set it in the garage. I would invariably be somewhere and need the stroller and it would not be there. Grrrrrr. I complained loudly and often to Adam (if you can imagine because I’m usually never one to let him know my feelings on subjects…)

When we got to the mall, we climbed out to venture to Build-A-Bear and MARK’S STROLLER WAS GONE. Since Adam was there, he agreed to full care of Mark who was a whirling dervish of two-year-old mobility.

Adam took one look at the crowded Build-A-Bear store and opted to stay out with Mark. (I later learned that Adam loathes Build-A-Bear…the whole Build-A-Bear scene.) The family building the bear fantasy was fading fast. We made a bear and it ended up being a she and ended up being ugly and unwanted. We named her Alderwood after the Alderwood Mall (there’s a theme here…naming unloved white bears after the store where they were purchased) and I vowed to STAY OUT OF IT from then on.


And here's Alderwood. Untrusting...unknowing...unlove-ed...



P.S. If you know what movie I'm quoting you are my forever friend.

3 comments:

Susie and Jay Larson said...

Harriet, sweet Harriet.."smile" Good movie.I am living the two's right now and it is sweet and very exhausting man oh man.

Suzanne said...

Untrusting...unknowing...unlove-ed...
So I married an axe murderer.

confession, I googled it. What? So what if I just wanted to hit the title of "forever your friend", Thelma.

Olivia Cobian said...

So I married an ax murderer.
BFF

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails