Pages

Monday, December 1, 2008

It’s Official…


Our halls are decked.

The other night I was listening to Warm 106.9, the radio station that plays Christmas music from Thanksgiving on. I can only take it in small doses because sometimes it gets a little too saccharine or they play songs that are a little crazy (in their defense, that’s a lot of Christmas music to play).

Anyway, in the evening when “Delilah” is on, people call in with requests and to tell a story that may or may not be touching (but that is the idea). On this particular evening there was a lady recalling her annual Christmas tree tradition with her father. It involved getting up early, hot chocolate and bundling up in warm clothes to go to the Christmas tree farm.

I wonder what my children will tell their children about our (fake) Christmas trees. I can imagine the warm sentiments, the fond nostalgia…

We would drag the boxes out of the closet…Dad would place the tree pieces together…we would all bend the branches…

Our living room tree is my tree. I am very particular about what goes on it. If it isn’t red—or red and white, or straw, it has no place on my tree.



The family room tree has fewer rules. Everyone has their own ornaments and it’s a happy jumble. I was thinking last night as I was decorating that we could have an ugly ornament contest and have some real competition.

A top contender in the ugly ornament contest. Marianne and I made these when I was about 10 I think. Hers was green. I don't know if she still has it...I hope so.

Giving the styrofoam, sequined, yellowed ribbon mess above a run for its money. Yes, that's plastic canvas and the homely little "bear" and his lopsided googly eyes has seen better days. I think I got this when I was about 6 though. Can you part with things you've loved since you were 6?

Since I admittedly am something of a tree Nazi and only allow white lights on the tree (I just like them), Adam bought the kids three little trees for their bedrooms…and colored lights. (Five family members and five trees…is that necessary?) A benefit of the kids’ trees is that I sent a few ornaments up the stairs with them last night that I didn’t want to see this year.

This year was Mark’s turn to put the angel on the tree. All three children love to be picked up by Adam. All three love to be seated on his shoulders.



All three freak out a little if they go any higher than that.

Here’s what happened when Adam sat Mark on his head so he could reach those last few inches to the top of the tree.


We may not have Delilah worthy stories involving tree acquisition each year but we did have some good treats.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

YUMBO BOB~! Your cookies look great. And, I like the angel on the tree idea, rotating is always great to avoid flying elbows and black eyes where children are concerned. I was thinking of having an ornament exchange, and now I think I'm going to have an "ugly ornament contest" instead. It makes for much better converstion anyway.

Jennifer said...

Your tree is beautiful! If only you were my next door neighbor and could come help me deck MY crazy, chaotic halls. In the least, I would be able to come sit in your front room and stare longingly at your beautiful tree.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails