Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

Anchored

anchor: figurative a person or thing that provides stability or confidence in an otherwise uncertain situation




My parents are visiting.  My dad has meetings nearby for the Traditional Cowboys Arts Association, of which he's a member.  Yesterday morning he left early for his meetings and my mom stayed with me for awhile.  We shopped and visited and she bought me pizza for lunch.

After I dropped her off to go have lunch with my dad and his fellow artists and drove away, I thought about my parents.  What is it that makes me feel so wonderful just being around them?

I realized that they are my anchors in this world.

When they tease each other, I feel anchored.

When my dad calls my mom to tell her exactly where he parked their car so she would have no trouble finding it, I feel anchored.

When my mom tells me, "Of course your dad will do that," because she knows him thoroughly, I feel anchored.  (This particular time, it's pictures I want hung on the wall.  I could stand on a chair and do it, my dad could stand on the floor and do it.)

When my mom and dad tell each other, "I love you," I feel anchored.  And I feel like I had the best teachers in the world to instruct me about what a marriage should look like.

When my mom washes my dishes, I feel anchored.

When they insist on paying for everything, I feel anchored.

When they listen to every word my children speak, and are genuinely interested, I feel anchored.

I am all grown up and live 800 miles away.  I see my parents a few times a year.  They still bless my life every single day.

Because who can put a price on a good anchor?

Here are my parents in the amazing office/art gallery of their friend and major patron of Western art.  Instead of looking at me (Look at me! Hey! Remember me? Your favorite daughter?), my dad is inspecting the spurs he made that their owner has displayed on his desk.

If I can ever muster the words to describe it, I'll have to tell you about this same friend of my parents' house that we toured yesterday afternoon.

I took 102 pictures there that don't do it justice.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

What a lovely post. What lovely parents we have.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails