Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Books I Read in April

Wish You Well by David Baldacci****

My amnesia gradually wore off and I remembered that I had read this book.  I loved it.  It's the best book I've read this year.  It's a great story and even has a kindly against all odds lawyer that reminds me of Atticus Finch.  What's not to love?


Letters From Home by Kristina McMorris****

Another fabulous book.  It is set during World War II and is romantic and sweet and made me happy.  I loved it.


Four Spirits by Sena Jeter Naslund***

This book is set in Birmingham Alabama during the 1960s.  It was eye opening to my naive grown-up-in-the-West self.  I've never experienced such racism and hatred and hopefully never will.  The author did a great job creating characters that seemed alive and showed different sides of things.  It was a good book.


Durable Goods by Elizabeth Berg *

There was nothing wrong with the writing in this book, I stopped reading it though.  The girl kept getting beat up by her dad and her mom had died of cancer.  Too sad.


Bloodroot by Amy Greene ***

Bloodroot is set in the Smoky Mountains.  I enjoy reading books set in places like that...but I don't want to live there.  There is sadness and poverty everywhere but there seems like an inordinate amount in that part of the world.  The characters were brilliantly drawn in this story.  It was sort of depressing but the characters drew me in and caused me to relate with people I otherwise would not have related to.


The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon **

The language was rough in this book and I don't appreciate the jarring nature of that but it was a fascinating read.  The narrator is a 15 year old boy with autism.  Seeing inside his world and the way he processed information was interesting and made me curious to know more.

(If you're in my book club--and if you aren't, you're welcome to join--we're discussing this book tonight!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails