Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

How To Create a Game for a Milestone Birthday Party




My tremendous sister (who really is more fabulous than irritatingly virtuous but don't tell her I said that) is about to turn 40!

When we were in Nevada we surprised her with a party.  Olivia was in charge of food (and others helped) and I was in charge of decorations and a game.  My main intent with the game was that I wanted to best my youngest brother who is handsome and young and irritatingly good at everything:

pictured here with his beautiful wife Melanee and beautiful baby Cormac
I designed a game where it was advantageous to be older...but then I remembered that I couldn't compete (or beat Ammon) because I'd invented the game.

Rats.

With the help of Wikipedia, I scanned the events of the years from 1971 to 2011.  I wrote one event per year.  I also added in a few personal events like when Marianne's children were born, when her team won the State Basketball Tournament, things like that.  (Marianne's husband may or may not have missed some of the years when their children were born but you can see that I'm not even going to mention it).

Here is a copy of the game (a little wrinkled but it's been to Nevada and back).


Everyone at the party (except my dad who didn't apply himself...he only got two correct) filled in the dates and Marianne and one of my other brothers, Enoch, tied for first place.

Here's Enoch.  He's also handsome and has a beautiful wife (Jennifer).  He also looks a little smug, and this was even before the game.



What gives?

Enoch is 5 years younger than me.

I don't think he should have won.

It could be that I'm harboring ill will against my brothers because they used to stuff me in a closet because they were bigger than me and could.

It's just a guess.

But the game was fun.  And not that hard to create (thank you Wikipedia).

6 comments:

Donna said...

Great idea! Great game! Thanks

Suzanne said...

Oooh, that's fun! What a cool idea.

Karey said...

What a great idea. I want to play.

Christie said...

So clever. The competitor in me would be mad to not get to play. Especially because I knew I would win...

Marianne said...

I would like to point out to all readers that Enoch was cheating and using his smart phone to be smarter. Not that I'm competitive or anything. . .

It was a fabulous game (and party!)

Thelma said...

I confiscated his phone before he was even able to turn it on. I'm sorry we have a smartie for a brother. I don't like it any more than you do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails