Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cleaning In April

I doubt anyone still cares about my cleaning.  Did you ever care?  But this keeps me on track, this accountability business.  Besides, I started reporting on it and I like continuity.

I cleaned my children's bathroom in April.  It gets cleaned every week so it didn't seem like it would be too big of a challenge.

Except my children are not civilized and have not learned the lessons I (really!) have tried to teach them.

Here's what the bathroom counter often looks like (brace yourself):


These are otherwise delightful children...but they make me crazy.

They read a lot.  There are always a few books in the bathroom (but a thesaurus?  really?).

Also, see how there's a cute little toothbrush holder?  That's just too far away for one little toothbrusher.

If you notice in the top right corner of the picture, there's a medicine cabinet.

Here's what it mostly looks like:


Because why would you want to put anything back in the medicine cabinet when it looks so lovely on the counter?

Our children do have other talents.  (I keep trying to remind myself what they are.)

And I'm not a complete failure as a mother/housekeeper.  (I keep trying to tell myself that.)

One problem is that I try to avoid this room whenever possible.  It's not a good recipe for tidiness.

What took up the most time in the room was this little bit of real estate.

It's a big closet...though obviously with things spilling out onto the floor...

In addition to extra toiletries (the ones not on the counter in the medicine cabinet), we keep games and puzzles there.  That seems like a strange choice for a bathroom closet but there's a lot of space in there.

I got rid of many things.  There were games and puzzles we've outgrown. Because I'm sentimental and have a hard time parting with things my children particularly loved, I set some of them aside for the mythical grandchildren.  It makes me feel better about boxing things up.  Adam gives me odd looks but he's kind and doesn't say anything.  I was telling Jill and Stephanie about my progress one day as we wend our way around the neighborhood.  In talking to them, I realized how much I truly hate Chutes and Ladders and Candyland.  I had set them aside for my mythical grandchildren.  The minute I got home, I put them in the donate pile.  I am not playing those games again.  I have put my time in.

Here's the final product:

I quickly took a picture before any of my children could descend.

Since I had cleared so much space, I was able to fit in sleeping bags that had been stored in the boys' closet.

Someday, my house will be all organized in tip top shape.  Someday.

Just like the mythical grandchildren.

3 comments:

Coralee Dahl said...

When your grandchildren are very young, Thelma, Chutes and Ladders and Candyland are the only games they are old enough to play and they will want to play games with you. Just a helpful hint.

Olivia Cobian said...

Wow! Great work. When you finish your house, mine could sure use you!

Clarissa Johnson said...

Your messy game closet is like how our's looks when it is super clean. You should really really see how messy ours is!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails