Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How to Be Bold




Go confidently in the direction of your dreams!  Live the life you've imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

This is something I've been considering.  I am a work in progress and am not expert at this, but here's what I think.

1- Don't be afraid to change course.

Braeden is in the throes of charting his high school course.  He had a plan.  He wouldn't be swayed.  He's rethinking it.  It's causing him stress.

I told him about when I was in high school and decided between my sophomore and junior years to change the extracurricular activities I was involved in.  Things like that mattered in my tiny school and I had one teacher that didn't talk to me for the rest of high school because he was mad that I quit.

And that was awkward in my tiny school.

But I was happier.  Ten thousand times.

2- Just start.

I've mentioned before our slow and steady approach to running.  A 5K (for me) seemed a little impossible but we chipped away at it, improving a little each day.  It worked.

3- It's not too late.

When I was growing up, my mom taught me piano lessons.  I hated it.  (I think my mom hated it too...I didn't practice very well...or very often.)  She'd always tell me I'd regret it someday.  I sort of did.  Lately I've started practicing the piano a little.  Not because I'll be in trouble Friday if I don't (Friday used to be my piano lesson day-- I dreaded Fridays) but because I just want to practice the piano.  And I have more time because of my 2/3 drop in home school enrollment.  I set the timer for 10 minutes and sit down and play.

I'm getting (a little) better.

I'm enjoying it.

4- Don't listen to critics.

My family is good to me.  They sometimes balk at my ideas though.  (Mostly because a lot of my ideas involve them and furniture moving.) I've been completely rethinking our school room.  (We have had a 2/3 drop in enrollment after all.)  They have all said, "What are you doing?" and "Why?" with an incredulous tone.  I tell them to just go with it and pick up that corner of the futon because we're moving it.

The other day I was dismantling a desk with a screw driver and Mark told me I'd lost my mind.

I moved the futon three times...and it weighs as much as several large elephants.  Then I moved it back to the original place.

I might leave it there.

But I might not.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Great advice! It really is just too easy to listen to people's critisism, including our own!

Marianne said...

You're a lovely work in progress.

Christie said...

I love the idea that it's never too late to boldly change the path you're on. Beautiful words, mama.

Suzanne said...

Yes, this IS great advice. And you never know until you try, right? I move furniture a lot too. And hey, at least now you know that you really do like that futon where it is, right? Love it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails