Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

General Malaise

Last year, in the late spring, I was so cranky, petulant, depressed and unpleasant that Adam devised two trips for me to escape to sunshine.

The past few days it's started to hit again.  I'm burnt out from days and days of being more productive than I'd like.  I'm ready for summer and a different pace.  I am ready for some sunshine!

But alas.  The June Gloom.  And it is still May.

I come from a long line of women who made sacrifices for the men they love so I will stick it out here, under this cold cloud.  This is where Adam is.  I love Adam.

Still, do I have to be miserable?

A few nights ago I was reading American Fuji by Sara Backer.  I read this line, describing the Japanese city of Shizuoka:  "suitable for purposes of general despondency."  It might as well be describing my view of Seattle with its infernal, never ending spring.

I didn't see any way around the general despondency.  I figured I'd just wait it out.  In July, this becomes the most beautiful place in the world.  I can wait until July.  I'll just grit my teeth and put my head down (to avoid raindrops) and plow through.

Yesterday I read an article by Gretchen Rubin of Happiness Project fame.  She talked about three kinds of fun:  challenging fun, accommodating fun and relaxing fun.

Research shows that challenging fun and accommodating fun, over the long term, make people happier, because they're sources of the elements that build happiness:  strong personal bonds, mastery, an atmosphere of growth. 

That afternoon, I was asked to help with a project.  I was asked to do some writing.  It will be challenging.  It will be fun.  I'm a little intimidated.

And I feel better already.

Who needs sunshine?

(OK, I do.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails