Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What Recharges Me

I still have Women's Conference swishing around in my mind.  It is always a wonderful time.  I love going to BYU.  I love revisiting places where I've been supremely happy.  BYU qualifies.

I love feeling inspired and feeling like I want to be a better person.  I have a notebook I carry with me at such times.  I take down nearly unreadable scribbles because I can't write fast enough when I'm listening to fabulous speakers.  I want to remember it all.  I want to remember how I'm feeling.

Here are some of the things I wrote.  They fill me with the boost I felt while there.  Likely out of context they won't pack the same punch, but:

Susan Tanner said:  Welcome the task that takes you beyond yourself.  And she asked:  What comes next for willing hands to do?

It made me want willing hands.  Willing-er hands?

Julie Beck who is one of my favorite speakers said:  Women have the responsibilities for the hearts and souls of Heavenly Father's children.  These are non-negotiable...we can't delegate them.

Am I living up to my responsibilities?  The hearts and souls of my loved ones matter.  Am I doing enough?

She also told us to ask ourselves:  Am I aligned with the Lord's vision of me?

The concluding speaker at the entire conference was Elder Bednar.  I soaked up his words like a thirsty sponge.  He said:  If we are focused and frequent in gaining spiritual nourishment, we are stronger, more converted, more faithful.

I loved being with my dear mother and 5 sisters (my brothers could not have done anything nicer for me than giving me three more sisters to love). For most of the sessions of the conference, we'd head our separate ways.  When we'd reconvene, we'd tell each other what we'd heard.  We laughed and cried together.  I felt the bond between us tighten.  We're in for the long haul.  And we're in together.

We are looking different directions because we had multiple cameras pointed at us, but here we are:

Katie, Olivia, Marianne, Melanee, my mom, Jennifer and me


We didn't take this picture at Women's Conference...we were busy...but we took this at Marianne's party.  You may notice Marianne is wearing her Women's Conference name tag to recreate the scene.

And speaking of Marianne's party (I can't help myself), here are a few more pictures:


Surprise!

The Birthday Girl and Robert

the festive birthday wreath I made

After the women photo, Jennifer convinced us to take a family picture of my parents and their children.  I said, "I don't want to have a double chin so make sure you take the picture above my chin."

My dad asked, "Which chin?"

Which I don't think was very supportive of him.

Here I am explaining to Olivia all about chins.  It's just part of the service I provide as her older sister:




Love these people.  They're all very tall but I don't hold that against them.  (Because I can't reach.)


Tabor, Ammon, Enoch; me, Olivia, Marianne--then my parents

I'm sorry to my mother that this picture is kind of in between expressions for her.  It was (sadly) the best picture of me in the lot though.

And it's all about me.

Am I right?

I promised Jennifer photo credit for her work.  Photos by Jennifer.  I give Jennifer a lot of credit for a lot of things though.

She's really pretty spectacular.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Are your readers going to think I always go around with my Women's Conference badge? Why can't the men in our family smile (except Ammon?)

Olivia Cobian said...

Thanks for the tutorial in chins. It meant a lot to me.

Wendy Hargrave said...

I am so glad you posted those pictures of your family. I haven't seen a picture of all of them in years. I can't believe how much they've grown. I remember meeting Ammon when he was not more than 8 or 9. Your dad never changes. He looks so much like I remember him. I need to find an excuse (& funds) to go visit NV again. BYU and the Dahls--good times :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails