Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Teenage Angst

A few weeks ago, Mark was revisiting Harry Potter movies.  He was watching Harry Potter 5...The Order of the Phoenix.  The one where Harry is really cranky for a lot of the movie.

Emma was getting ready for school and in and out of the room.  At one point, when Harry was really bad tempered, she said to the TV, in a rather conciliatory way, "It's hormones buddy."

In other words, hang in there.  It gets better.

I think that a lot when I contemplate my teenager and almost teenager.  It's not easy.  I see them trudge to school every day with massive backpacks.  I see them encounter new experience after new experience.  I see them deal with unpleasant people and unpleasant tasks.

And I see that they're pretty stoic and cheerful, considering.  I want to lighten their loads (or at least their backpacks).  I want to pave an easy way for them.  I want everyone to be exceptionally nice to them.

But I also want them stronger and more capable and more compassionate.  I don't see any way to get there without slogging along here.

Have you seen this short film?  I loved it.  I want my children to feel validated.  It's about 15 minutes but worth it.

VALIDATION

2 comments:

Marianne said...

My internet is way to slow to attempt the film but I agree with your sentiments and I'm glad we have teenagers together so I can get lots of free counseling from you.

Marianne said...

I used the wrong kind of "to" or "too" perhaps. How embarrassing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails