Pages

Monday, September 14, 2020

Fire on the mountain, run boy run

 Saturday morning Adam and I were lamenting all the fires on the West coast.  We felt bad for the people that were suffering.  Adam commented that we were fortunate not to have lots of fires here.  I said we didn't have those big trees to burn even if we had fires.

Then Saturday night, we had a fire.

Mark took this picture from the side of our house.

We talked evacuation plans.  Since I grew up where I did and also I'm a compulsive planner, I had already thought it through.  I told Adam where the files were that we would need to grab and I said, "Then if we have time, all the photo albums that predate my blog and digital pictures."  Also, if there was time, walk through the house with our phones and take video of all the things.

I felt pretty good about my plan.

We prayed and I tried to go to sleep.

Ha.

People just south of us were evacuated.

Adam called a meeting.  Him, Mark, me.

Adam said, "OK, if we have to leave.  The first thing is Mark's diabetic supplies."

Mark had already amassed his stuff and Adam had pulled out a cooler in case we needed to take the insulin.

It hadn't occurred to me that we needed to get all that stuff.  So my plan wasn't so very marvelous.  Because Mark not dying is more important than the photo albums.  Even though we had really cute toddlers...

Adam also said we would drive all three cars to the Macey's parking lot and then take one car and go from there.

Emma called and said if we had to evacuate, could we take her stuffed animals if possible?  It reminded me of when my grandparents' house burned and all the grandchildren asked if the shark's tooth and alligator skull from when they lived in Florida and the headdress from when my grandpa was a mission president in South Dakota were saved.  Everyone has their own treasures.

I finally went to sleep.  At 3:30, I woke up and looked outside.  The fire looked higher on the mountain and I couldn't tell if it was closer or not.  I checked Facebook and saw that firefighters from Pleasant Grove, American Fork, Orem and Lehi were all there, keeping houses safe and in the morning the Forest Service would fight it from the air.

The PG firefighters are the same guys who cut my rings off and they are good guys and I felt grateful.  I prayed some more.

This was my view Sunday morning out my office window.


All day helicopters and planes flew overhead.  I was chatting with Nola in the cul-de-sac and a plane dropped fire retardant and we both stood there sort of transfixed because it was the bright pink a little girl would love for her birthday party.

I had my phone and Nola didn't.  She said, "Take a picture and text that to me."

Cameo appearance by the crack in the cul-de-sac that keeps getting wider and wider like fault lines do.  Stay tuned for another earthquake....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails