Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Teamwork

 The last few days we've had kids from LIA (Latinos in Action) in our school.  They are super impressive high school students who are bilingual and volunteer their services.  We've had them meet with and/or call Spanish speaking parents of our online students.  A few days ago, I saw them lingering in the hall after they were finished.  One of the boys pointed to a picture on the wall and said, "I'm still in this picture."

There's a flag picture in the hall that's a collage composed of the faces of students.  I don't know how old the picture is--however long ago that guy was in elementary school.

It made me feel proud of our little school that we taught a boy like him who would grow up to be a self assured and capable asset to the school as he communicates with parents. (Even though I wasn't there and had nothing to do with teaching him.)

Those good kids helping us reminded me of how much I really love the collaborative and we're-all-in-this-together nature of being a teacher.

This landed in my box yesterday, my very own Where's Waldo.

Mark said I was the only one not posing.  I said, "I'm doing a Superman pose."  He said, "Superman flies."  Everyone's a critic.

It's our unconventional faculty picture from a very unconventional year.  

Also it was 10,000 degrees when we were taking the picture and someone thought we should wear our black sweatshirts and our face coverings and maybe the face coverings were a good idea because we were all whining about how hot it was.  Now, you can just pretend we're smiling under there.

These are my people and we do what we can to help each other.  There are often "Free, take one" signs posted around for extra supplies or treats.  In the work room, people look over each others' shoulders and say, "Oooh, can I get a copy of that?"  The answer is always yes.

Yesterday the two fresh faced young 4th grade teachers both reached out to me to talk about some of their most challenging students who were some of my most challenging students last year.  (At least we didn't give them both to either of them.)

I was happy to give my best advice and all my empathy.

My first piece of advice?  

When you're in the parking lot and you see someone driving a white jeep, don't take her parking spot....



1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Oh, was it one of those gals that put you into Fried Green Tomatoes mode?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails