Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2021

Headache day

Yesterday was a migraine day.  Before the bell rang, two students reminded me that we hadn't done the pledge yet.

"We will," I said.  At the moment it was clear it was going to be a very long day.

Guess who aren't quiet?  3rd graders.  I asked them to stop yelling.  I asked them to stop incessantly tapping their pens.  I confiscated a clicker from a student.  A clicker?!?  He asked if he could have it back after writing.  I said, "You can have it back after school."

I didn't bite anyone's head off but my tone was a little grouchy sometimes.  I knew it but I struggled to stop being grouchy.

At one point I apologized for being cranky.  I said, "I have a bad headache.  I'm sorry I'm cranky.  Please stop yelling."

They didn't.  I don't think they yell on purpose.  They're just...excited.  And loud.

Two girls told me they also suddenly had headaches.

Then they noticed I had a bandaid on my thumb because my skin has split, like it does every winter, and the liquid bandaid stuff isn't fixing it.

That, they were concerned about.  All day it was "Teacher, what happened to your thumb?"  "Why do you have a bandaid?"  "What happened?"  "Teacher, are you hurt?"

Next time I'm going to put a big bandaid on my head.

I came home and Mark took one look at me and sent me to bed.  He had made dinner.  If you ask me, having a son in quarantine start the soup in the crockpot at noon is not a bad thing.  (He had a little drama trying to locate the chicken in the freezer but he persevered.)  I went and slept for an hour and felt mildly more human.  I had a little pile of Advil by my bowl at dinner and I tried to fill up my cup that was already full.

Adam said, "Maybe you should go to bed."

Later Emma stopped by because she had forgotten some things.  She told us all about her classes and it made me happy to see her so happy.  She told me she did the RB stairs with two breaks.  She helped me fold the laundry.

I have a 100% survival rate for headache days.  Sometimes it feels like the day will be an exception, but I always make it in the end.


1 comment:

Marianne said...

Hope today is better!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails