Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Peaceful transfer

 I missed the inauguration because it was during writing and if you think I can watch an inauguration while trying to coax words out of third graders, I can't.  Sometimes it feels like I have to use the jaws of life to extricate those words.

I did get analysis (and pictures) from my family though.  Braeden commented on the speech, Emma on the music and Adam pointed out that Chief Justice Roberts has now sworn in two presidents who voted against him.  Mark had opinions on everything and shared them over bowls of soup last night before he went to work.  He is, after all, 18 and knows everything.

Here's what struck me (I caught myself up a little when I got home).

I loved the poet.  Everything from her coat to her delivery style to her words.  I love words.  Also, poets make life richer.

I loved the former presidents (well, except one...) sitting behind the new president.  To me they were a message of we've got your back to the president as well as a reminder of how power transfers peacefully in our country.  I love the idea that despite all our differing opinions and ideologies and priorities, democracy means we get along anyway.

(Sometimes getting along means keeping your opinions to yourself and I'm OK with that.)

What struck me the very most was the moment of silence for those whose lives were lost to COVID.  I wonder if by now everyone knows at least someone who has died from it.  

The new administration has their work cut out for them and I wish them all the best. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails