Pages

Monday, January 11, 2021

Our Covid coven

Adam, Emma and Mark have all tested positive and are in various stages of sickness/recovery.  Luckily no one has been too sick.

When people in our ward found out, everyone had one question, "How's Mark?"  Everyone has heard that diabetes is a risk factor.  Early in the pandemic, I was (you can't even imagine how much) grateful our doctor told us that that mostly meant people with Type 2 diabetes.  As long as Mark's otherwise healthy, he's is at no greater risk for serious illness than anyone.

I'm still grateful our friends care about Mark.  When someone cares about one of your children, it matters.

Adam is soldiering on like he does, still working and doing his church calling from afar.  My goal in life is to try to get him to rest.  I have my work cut out for me.  Braeden (who we are pretty sure had it even though he tested negative when he finally had a test--he got sick and recovered and then Anna tested positive) came over Saturday to give his dad a priesthood blessing.  

side note:  Today's Braeden's birthday!  He's 24 and past the age of having his birthday revolve around me. 24.  It's pretty amazing how the time passed right by.  I'm proud of that kid and happy with pretty much every part of his life.  The only exception I can really think of is that I wish he had a warmer coat but he promised me it is warm enough and I backed off which is my role now.  (I'm still working on the backing off stage of motherhood....)

Emma is super tired and was super happy to sequester herself in her room.  She's always loved that bubble.  Her quarantine ends in time for classes at BYU to start back up and she's not looking forward to the RB stairs which she has to climb every day to get to campus.  If you aren't familiar with BYU campus, that means nothing to you but if you are familiar, you understand. The RB stairs...not for wimps.

Mark seems to be the least afflicted.  He was sick a few days but he's rebounding pretty well and on a reading bender.  His whole life I've tried to make a reader out of him.  My efforts have largely failed.  He hardly ever chooses reading as a leisure activity.  About once a year, he decides to read and he goes all the way in.  He loves his creature comforts and he made a comfortable nest on the couch with pillows and blankets and jazz music playing.  He said he can read better when it isn't silent.  Saturday he read three books and Sunday a few more. Over the two days he read over 1400 pages. 

He asked me to order three books which I promptly did.

Emma said, "That only works for you, Mark."

He said, "Maybe if you want some books have me ask Mom and she'll order them."

I said, "I heard that and I'm onto you."

But, when Mark wants a book, I'll buy it.  It just makes me that happy if he wants to read.  I don't know why it matters so much to me but it does.

I remember the way Adam took care of me (and all the things) when I had Covid so I'm trying to do the same.  I have to remind Adam to let me.  


1 comment:

Mark Dahl said...

I wonder if Emma could get a temporary handicapped parking permit for the RB stairs. I know them. Your mom.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails