Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2021

The state of things

 Things that aren't going well:

1. The distributive property.  They don't get it.  Tomorrow will start day 3.  I have a new plan of attack.  Hope springs eternal.

2. Also, the writing of imaginative narratives.  The misspelled words, wonky grammar and punctuation is all very fixable and expected.  But the stories don't make sense.  They either are not stories or they are super confusing.  This is after weeks of prewriting (coming up with characters and settings) and graphic organizers (problem! solution! beginning! middle! end!).  One thing that (maybe?) made me feel a little better is that when they tell me stories they don't always make sense either.  Maybe the writing isn't the problem.  Maybe it's the age.

Taking pictures of Adam's throat (foreshadowing...see below).

Things that are going well:

1. Mark's powers of persuasion. He texted us a persuasive essay about why we should go to Pizza Pie Cafe for dinner.  He didn't have pizza with us on Monday, it was on his way to work, etc. etc.  It worked.  Mark and I had dinner there.  (Adam was still at work + not feeling well and said he didn't want dinner anyway--more foreshadowing.)

2. Telemedicine.  Adam called in on his computer and the nice man was very patient as I tried and failed over and over to get a picture of his throat.  Adam's new phone has the flash controls in a different place than I was used to.  Also, I'm not what anyone would call a good photographer.  I did have a big popsicle stick in my bag because I use them for my job chart at school.  So that was the tongue depressor.  The diagnosis was strep throat.

Adam was thrilled that it only cost $5.  That man loves a bargain.  We drove together to pick up the prescription and it was also $5 (and 3 cents).  

I told Adam he was a cheap date.

3 comments:

Geri said...

Telemedicine might be a blessing in that you might get Adam to the doctor more often and quicker than in the past. Technology wins again.

Marianne said...

Hope Adam feels better soon.

Mark Dahl said...

I hope he feels better. Take care. Your mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails