Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Connections

Adam went on another business trip on Sunday and I'm over it.  I wish he was home.  Mark went to work in Salt Lake so I was rattling around here alone.  Which is fine, I don't mind being alone.  But also, sometimes I mind being alone.

I went to my school and worked in my classroom for a few hours.  The place was a ghost town because it was, after all, a state holiday.  Janelle was in Michigan and Miriam went to Lagoon.

It is not an easy summer for me and the angst was starting to get the best of me and then I finally got ahold of Olivia.  (Marianne was among the missing, which is quite audacious of her if you must know.  She needs to answer the phone when I call her.  That is all.)

Olivia was the balm I needed.  

I don't know how I got such wise and good and kind sisters.  

We had a ward/neighborhood party (they are the same thing).  We could sign up for either a salad or a dessert.  When I sign up for a salad, I bring home a salad.  When I sign up for a dessert, I bring home an empty plate. 

I know my lane and I stay in it.  I made some scotcheroos which are gluten free and that is my lane too.

The theme of the party was Music and the Smokin' Word.  (We had smoked meat and it was good.) 

Mark and Emma and Sara and Jack sang Flowers on the Wall by the Statler Brothers.  Before they sang, while Emma was tuning her guitar, Sara said, "We are Jack and the Box.  We started this group...last night.  I hope you enjoy our debut performance."

I enjoyed Jack and the Box (And they really did rehearse for the first time on Sunday night).  Nola and I decided we would be their roadies.

There were some other performances and it was fun to enjoy the talented people.  Greg, our across the street and down one house neighbor, played the banjo and the harmonica at the same time and that feels impossible.

I talked to my friend Sue and I told her about a book I'm reading and she told me about a book she's reading and she said to drop off the book at her house when I'm done and we'll switch.

I talked to my friend Julia.  We talked about the travails of motherhood and I felt understood.

It is reassuring to be surrounded by people who make my life better.  Connection is important, even for this introvert.

I even connected with my chiropractor.  We compared notes on granddaughters.  I think our granddaughters just might save us all.

I mean, just look at her.



1 comment:

Mark Dahl said...

She is beautiful all right.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails