Pages

Friday, July 8, 2022

Grateful Friday


Yesterday was my Grandma and Grandpa Dahl's birthday.  They share a birthday, just like Adam and I do. (Theirs are five years apart, but Adam and I are the same year too.)



I always think of my grandparents on July 7 because more often than not, it seemed like a holiday when we were growing up.  We'd always have a family party sometime around July 4-July 7.  Often there would be two birthday cakes, one for each grandparent.

I thought about my grandparents yesterday.  I think about them a lot since we bought their house and are renovating it.

Yesterday I was cleaning the laundry room and eyeing a vase that is in the basement.  I wondered how it would look in the house in Starr Valley.  (I seem to mentally parse our belongings into which I want to keep here and which I want to take there.) 

I had the thought, which I often do, wondering what they would think of it all.  Do they approve of us buying the house?  Making it our own?

It could not have been any clearer to me if someone stood next to me and spoke the words:  They don't care.  They just want you to be good.

I felt like crying from the joy of that statement.  Because I knew it was true.

  

It's true about my children and grandchild.  I don't care about much else.  I'm grateful to remember that some things matter more than others.

2 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

I love this post, Thelma, and I think it is so true. You got your dad and I crying as usual.

Olivia Cobian said...

Well put! Or, as Grandma Dahl would put it, "Well, I'll say!"

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails