Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Independence weekend

I watched the enormous flag in the canyon unfurl.  I sat on our front porch.

I took a picture from my office window--through the screen.  (I am not really a good photographer.  Oh, you noticed?)


The flag makes me happy.

So do pictures of Eleanor:


 

On Friday, when I was stressed about Emma making it to her hotel in San Francisco, I painted my nails, so Eleanor wasn't the only one looking festive:


Emma went to San Francisco to visit Freja, and Braeden and Anna and Eleanor went to see them too.  I got pictures from the Golden Gate Bridge (and fingernails I stress painted).




I thought they were cute and everything, but where was Eleanor?


She's the main event.

Adam and Mark and I went to Top Gun Maverick.  It was just as good the second time.

We had burgers (found gluten free buns at Trader Joe's) and pavlova (gluten free strawberry shortcake!) and strawberry lemonade.  

I think it's what the Founding Fathers would have wanted.


We got situated on the deck for firework viewing.  Marek came over briefly and watched fireworks, then he went to watch more fireworks with his parents.  (I guess we have to share Marek with his parents.)

It looked like the valley was a roiling boiling pot with fireworks popping on the surface.  Pictures can't capture it (at least pictures taken by me).  Adam took this picture which I liked.


I'm still reading Gone with the Wind.  The messy state of our country back then is depressing but also gives me hope.  Even though we're still struggling with some of the fallout of slavery, things are better.  The country was able to get past the worst polarization we've ever had and everyone gets to vote, so that's something!

Despite the troubling headlines I scroll through, things are going pretty well.  I can live, worship, vote, drive, be educated, participate in educating children, disagree, write my senator and feel pretty safe.  

Also, I can watch an entire valley explode beautiful fireworks I didn't have to pay for.  How's that for freedom? 

2 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

I love that photo of Eleanor. Enjoyed this post.

Marianne said...

I'm so glad Emma made it safely! And Eleanor is adorable!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails