Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2022

Keeping calm(ish) and carrying on


Janelle sent this truth to me.

But, the upside is, there's nothing wrong with optimism.  What if things actually DO slow down a bit next week?

They won't, but let me have this OK?

I have a new BYU practicum teacher.  She is lovely and reminds me of Anna and then I found out she works at the BYU library like Anna used to do and that she knows Anna!  (They don't know each other well, she just said, "Wait, does she have red hair?"  People remember red hair.)

I enjoy having her but it is also extra work + less prep time because I'm working with her to figure out when and what she is going to teach.

Also, she is there observing me and seeing all my fumbling and flailing.  I am a walking and talking cautionary tale.  After an abysmal writing lesson that didn't go well AT ALL (it didn't help that it was after inside recess--nobody wins with inside recess), I told her that a big part of teaching was pivoting and resetting when things don't work.

At least for me that is the case.  

I guess what I'm saying is, she isn't going to be intimidated by me or think she won't measure up.... 

Teaching 3rd grade is maybe one of the most humbling experiences of my life.


 

3 comments:

Marianne said...

You should call me sometime and tell me why you had to have inside recess. The weather wasn't bad, right? Your readers have questions!

Olivia Cobian said...

I wondered about the reason for inside recess too. My whole adult life I have sincerely thought things would slow down next week. It keeps me going.

Mark Dahl said...

Don't you be intimidated by your practicum helper. You are a master and let her learn from the master. I'll bet it will get easier to have her as time goes by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails