Pages

Monday, September 26, 2022

Weekend

Friday, math went well.  It was the first time all year I can say that.  I am not going to credit the Swig Janelle brought me at 7:45 AM, but I'm not going to not credit it either.  

Also on Friday, Adam and I had some friends and neighbors over.  It was an empty-nester-ish gathering.  It ended up being Shannon and Chris, Jenn and Greg, and Doug (his wife, Kim, is a victim's advocate and got called into work--I don't envy her that stressful gig).

We sat around our fire pit until well past dark and roasted s'mores (Shannon brought Reeses peanut butter cups and they were a good variation).  We talked about all sorts of things.  Doug regaled us with crazy stories.  Adam and Chris talked about pizza.  Shannon told us about seeing the biggest tire and the biggest ketchup bottle, among other things.  She said she grew up in a family that likes quirky things.  

We told her she needs to go to the Jolly Green Giant in Minnesota.  She is adding it to her list.

We talked about National Parks and the numbering system of interstates and highways and snorkeling and which country we would move to if we could.  Shannon insisted she wouldn't live anywhere except America.  I said, "OK, but you have to.  Where would you go?"

As it got later, we talked about spiritual things we don't understand.

There's something really nice about this stage of life.  We are past our lives being dictated by our teenagers' busy schedules and Jenn and I talked about how our grandchildren are just cuter than any other children and that is just a fact.

Saturday morning, when Mark finally emerged from hibernation in the basement, he saw our McDonald's cups and said, "Did you clean the church?"

Cleaning the church is always followed by breakfast at McDonald's.  That is also a fact.

I switched our home from summer decorations to autumn.  I asked Adam if he thought the other seasons were sad that they weren't autumn.

I love it.

We went to my classroom and rearranged the deskss.  If that carpet gets worn out faster than it should, it will be because I dragged the desks around. A lot.

Saturday night we finished the Junior Bake Off show.  There is something about baking competitions that really soothes your soul.  There is so much drama, but it's about dessert.

Emma and Mark sang in church.  I was more concerned about it than anyone else.  "Are you going to...practice?"  They are comfortable singers though, and pulled it off.  Of course I thought it sounded good, because I always do.

I made beef bulgogi for dinner.  I used a different recipe than the previous time (I am trying to find a good recipe because Mark loves beef bulgogi.  At a restaurant or if I buy the sauce, it has gluten).  I don't quite have it yet, but we wrapped it in lettuce leaves with kimchi and very aptly named Yum Yum sauce.  I liked it!

We finished off with watching an episode of the latest season of the Great British Baking Show.  

Braeden and Anna are creating a bracket with their friends to see who will win.  Some people do March Madness, some people to the Great British Baking Show....










2 comments:

Marianne said...

Sounds like a nice life. I miss you!

Mark Dahl said...

Glad you enjoyed the weekend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails