Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Diversionary tactics

It is no surprise that struggling readers don't love to read.  Yesterday I called a small group back to my table so I could listen to them read.

One student tried every trick she could think of.

Me: Come on.  I need you here at my table.

Me: Yes, you.  Come on.

Me: Get a stool.

Me: Sit down.

Me: No, don't tilt.

Me: Stop spinning.  Get your book.

Student: I don't know what page we're on.

Me: This page. (smoothing book open and pointing) Right here.

Me: I want to hear your voice too. You need to read.

Student: Where are we?

Me: (pointing) Right here.

Student: Wait.

Me: What?

Student: (pointing at my head) Are those natural curls?

Me: Yes.

Student: (closing her eyes like she's transported) Because they are beautiful!

Me: (pointing to the page) OK.  Now you need to read.

Student: (sighing deeply) Fine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby. That’s tough.

Mark Dahl said...

Well you do have lovely, natural curls.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails