Pages

Monday, May 18, 2020

Early bird makes an exception

Saturday was a pleasant day of errands and tasks and then we got burgers and had a little picnic with our favorite newlyweds.  We called it celebrating the end of school and Mark's completion of his AP exam but then Anna told us she found out she got a full tuition scholarship so we celebrated that too.  (Is there anything happier than having your children marry well?)

By the time we got home it wasn't necessarily an early enough evening to start, but we decided to watch more of Pride and Prejudice.  Just a bit more.

Then we kept watching until 11:30.

I have always been a go to bed early and get up early type of girl with a brief stint of staying up later when I was in college.

11:30 is waaaay past my bedtime these days but it was Pride and Prejudice!

When we reached the happy and satisfying conclusion of the movie and Mark remarked with satisfaction that Mr. Darcy was "not a simp," and Emma decided the character she most identified with was Kitty who went to hide whenever she didn't want to see whoever was visiting.  We sat around joyfully reminiscing like we'd just attended a wonderful party.

The kids were shocked that it was so late and I was still there.  Mark said, "I kept thinking you were going to say you had to go to bed."

Every party has a pooper....

A few minutes after I was upstairs, I remembered that I had laundry in the washing machine.  Our children had both dribbled dinner on their clothes so I had started a load when we got home.  Eating messy burgers in a park causes mishaps even when you're 17 and 21 apparently.

I went to the basement and Mark was concerned, "Mom!  What are you doing?"  (Did he think sleepwalking?)

I told him about the laundry.

He said, "I'm surprised you're still standing."

"You know I'd do anything for my children," I said in my best long suffering voice as I pulled their clothes out of the washing machine.  He kissed the top of my head.

Truthfully, I guess I'd do anything for Pride and Prejudice.  Including staying up way too late.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails