Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2020

The family canon

Since our governor said it was OK, we have started letting Mark have the occasional friend over.  The other night that was the case and the rest of us decided to watch Pride and Prejudice.  There was some discussion about which one but decided on the Colin Firth one and I maintained that the Kiera Knightly one was way too short and cut out too much good stuff.  I feel pretty neutral about the newest Masterpiece Theater one.

As we were watching and Mr. Darcy was in the bathtub, Emma or Adam, I don't know which one, said something about him being in water a lot in the movie between that and the lake scene.  Emma said that we could distinguish between the movies by calling them the Dry Darcy and the Wet Darcy.

Emma also decided Braeden was Mr. Bingley and Mark was more of a Mr. Darcy.  "But who does that make me?  Caroline Bingley?"

I told her she could be Georgiana Darcy and she was much happier with that suggestion.

Yesterday afternoon, for "homework" we told Mark he had to watch the first part of Pride and Prejudice to get caught up to where we were.  Adam said, "It is part of our Family Canon and you have to watch it."

Mark sent us this:


That actress was in Persuasion too.

Mark is embracing the family canon.

We watched a few more hours last night.  I love Pride and Prejudice on a cellular level and sharing it with Mark made me happy.  He is reluctant to admit it, but I think he likes it too.

Emma said it was "on brand" for Elizabeth Bennet to enter scenes with a few running steps when she's outside walking.  On one walk, when Mr. Darcy approached horseback, Mark said, "Can I interest you in an insult in these trying times?"

I would have been happy to keep watching but Mark was done and Emma said she had homework.

I said that was feeble excuse.

I mean, it's part of the family canon.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

I love your family cannon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails