Pages

Monday, May 25, 2020

Memorial Day Weekend

Usually, we would be gathering at cemeteries in the Salt Lake Valley today, remembering our kindred dead.  Even though that isn't the plan, it's still in my heart.  My grandma is in my heart and the stories she has told me.

Emma and I went and visited her Thursday in honor of her 93 birthday.  It seems like a really bad idea to visit a 93 year old during this pandemic, but earlier in the week, I had been in her neighborhood and not stopped by.

She called me and said, "I'm not happy with you!"

It is the first time I've ever heard those words come out of her mouth and let me tell you, they made an impact.

I sputtered that I didn't think she'd want a visit and she insisted she did.

So Emma and I went.  We wore masks and sat across the room and neither hugged nor kissed nor got remotely close to Grandma.

Yesterday we had the distinctive honor of being dinner guests at Braeden and Anna's.  They made pizza, having perfected their crust recipe and method.  They even tinkered with a recipe Adam had made up and their modification was a good one.  After dinner we took a walk on the lovely tree lined Provo streets.  They are heading to Logan today to visit Anna's grandma.  Braeden asked us what we were doing today and we said we were doing chores around our house.

Braeden said he was glad that didn't involve him.  He said, "We did our chores Saturday."

We said, "So did we."

I guess we have more chores.

It hasn't been all work and no play though.  We watched Jane Eyre this weekend.  More of the family canon we're introducing Mark to.  As Emma said, "Those Brontes don't pull any punches do they?"

During our first night of viewing, Mark said something about Mr. Rochester having a wife.

Emma texted us this:


Because sometimes you text when you're sitting next to someone on the couch.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails