Pages

Monday, May 4, 2020

Google meet

Friday I met with my class in a virtual meeting.  There were 15-16 of them there.  I didn't count, plus some of them kept popping in and out.

I was in our classroom and it made the students sad.  They kept saying they wanted to go back to school and they wondered what day they were going to be able to go back.  I told them not until August.

I said, "You'll be going to 4th grade then though."

One girl asked, "All of us?  4th grade?"

"All of you."

Some of them seemed legitimately surprised and mad about that and it made me wonder if their parents hadn't told them.

I made them all mute themselves because of all the crying/screaming siblings in the background. (Seriously, is that how your house is all the time?!? Because no wonder you want to come back to school.)  If they wanted to say something they could type it.

I had previously sent them and their parents all pictures of some lost and found jackets in the classroom but few parents responded.  When I held them up to the camera, they all disagreed hotly about whose was whose.

I gave up and moved on to water bottles.  I was able to get definitive answers on 2 bottles and arguments about the rest.

I reminded them that Mother's Day was coming up and mostly they were shocked.  They unmuted themselves to share their dismay except for one straitlaced boy who was usually the one I left in charge if I had to leave the classroom.  He stayed muted.

One girl said, "I had no idea!"

They asked over and over, "What day is it?"

It is clearly up to the dads this year.  The dads may not even realize how much they've been relying on schools sending home cards and gifts.

I told my class that I was a mother so I was the expert and I knew what they should give their mothers.

1- help with something

2- write a letter

I said, "Don't just say 'you're awesome and I love you'.  Be specific.  Tell them specifically why you love them. Name a reason."

They looked serious and thoughtful.  One of them asked, "Now when is Mother's Day again?"

I had had a plan for them to write a story for their mothers with their mothers starring as a superhero.

I had lots of plans.

Speaking of Mother's Day, I talked to Braeden Saturday and he told me that he and Anna had a panicked thought that the next day was Mother's Day and they weren't prepared.  They scrambled to get ready.  Braeden had talked to Geri that day and wished her a happy Mother's Day.  She said, "You know it's not until next week, right?"

He was relieved but a little embarrassed.  He said, "But now we're all ready for next week!"

Sunday morning Emma came in my office where I reading and said, "Happy Mother's Day."

I said, "It's next Sunday."

Later, Mark came in.  We'd already had a few conversations including but not limited to me asking him if he wanted toast, him saying no, me making toast for him anyway.  I seriously forget to listen to the answer when I ask questions sometimes.

Mark came in my office though and kissed me on the top of the head and said, "Happy Mother's Day. I'm sorry I forgot before and didn't say anything."

"It isn't Mother's Day!"

He said, "Oh, well I heard Emma earlier."

So if all my kids forget next Sunday that it's Mother's Day, I guess we already celebrated.










No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails