Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

A good age

 A few nights ago Nola brought over half a watermelon that she couldn't fit in her fridge.  We chatted on my front lawn awhile and two young guys in matching polo shirts walked up, selling something.  They said, "Are either of you the homeowner?"  Nola and I looked at each other, deciding whether or not to lie.  Finally I said, "I am, but I'm not interested in whatever you're selling."

Nola said, "And I live across the street so don't even bother going over there."

They looked slightly taken aback by us and walked down the street.

Nola said, "Once I turned 50..."

I'm not even 50 yet, but I'm the age you are when you don't have to give solicitors the time of day.

Yesterday, we had two performances of the dance festival which is as fun as it sounds if that doesn't sound all that fun.  Somehow, I ended up on the side with several of the rowdiest boys and Kate and Janelle were on the other side with the other half of the third grade.  As part of my villain costume, I had a spray bottle filled with water.  I sprayed the third graders between dance numbers and they at first were shocked and I'd shrug and say, "Sorry, I'm a villain," like it was out of my hands.  Then they'd beg me to spray them again.  I would only spray them between dances if they were good audience members.  It is amazing how the dumbest things like that work.

One boy was in the middle of the row and he was talking loudly and messing with the second graders in front of him and bothering the kids on both sides.

He isn't my student but as a veteran mom, I like to think I can summon a tone when I need one.  I crouched beside him and hissed, "You be quiet and you keep your hands to yourself.  Do you understand me?"  He nodded.  I have sat through worse venues with worse behavior (from my own children).  And I think he knew it and knew not to push me.  Then I squirted him in the face with the water bottle.  He was totally shocked and then laughed and said, "Do it again!"  I put my finger to my lips for him to be quiet and I didn't have another problem with him the rest of the time.

Why haven't I always just walked around with a spray bottle?

Anyway, it's nice to be old enough to already have experienced all the rowdy naughtiness of boys (mostly contained in my redhead).

There is a practicum teacher at our school and I talked to her yesterday and she seemed super familiar.  Her name is Jill and after we talked, I kept thinking she was familiar.  It occurred to me that maybe she was Jill from my freshman floor.  She'd been our Relief Society president.  Could it be her?  I didn't want to offend her by thinking she was as old as all that but later, when I saw her out of the field, helping to set up chairs, I asked her.  And it was her!  We hugged and reconnected and it felt so wonderful.

I immediately texted Adam and then messaged Erin and Rachel and Robbie.  They are also my friends from 30 years ago and even though our relationship is almost entirely virtual these days, they are my friends.  Robbie wanted to see a picture so when I went back out on the field, I took one.



We got caught up on the last 30(!) years since we'd last seen each other.  We showed each other pictures of our kids and it was so nice to catch up.

I was telling Adam later that it's great to be this age.  Years ago, I may have wondered how I measured up when I met someone I hadn't seen for a long time.  Now, I guess some of the insecurities of youth are gone.  I don't care how my life compares to hers or who is more "successful" in some arbitrary calculation.  I am just glad to see my friend.  I know that she's lived long enough to have good things and hard things happen in her life and so have I and it doesn't matter.  30 years ago, we lived on the same floor in the same dorm. She was my Relief Society president and was kind and caring to me.

And I'm thrilled to see her again.

I think I like being 48.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails