Pages

Monday, May 3, 2021

The first Saturday in May

Often, I'm fresh off Women's Conference on the first Saturday in May.  But alas.  It's virtual and I haven't watched because while I'm sure it's good, it's not the same.

I dug and weeded in my front flower bed.  I pruned a bush (which I love doing to the sometimes peril of our bushes and our marriage).  I planted a daisy and put my geraniums in big pots by the garage doors.  One of them didn't like the transfer very well so we'll see how that goes.  I had four enormous spider houseplants (that all started from one spider plant).  I repotted three of them and threw one away and cut the root balls in half and we'll see how that goes too.  My heart won't be broken if they don't all survive because it was starting to feel like a spider plant farm.  I repotted the Moses plant that Olivia gave me a start from.  It originally was my Grandma Dahl's Moses plant.  I repotted Emma's Christmas Cactus that Olivia gave her a start from.  It originally was my Great Grandma Egbert's Christmas Cactus.  I transplanted those two more carefully because they feel like family heirlooms.

I got a lot of dirt under my finger nails and my face turned beet red like it does (if my body would just sweat like a normal person I wouldn't get so hot and red faced).  I lay on the steps of the garage when I was just too tired and hot.  It was more comfortable than you'd think.

Adam had mowed and lifted all the heavy pots and helped me repot.  We cleaned up and met Emma for a late lunch (Mark was at rehearsal).  We went to Home Depot for the third time this week and we finally decided with input from Emma and the Home Depot lady (who declared herself a professional designer and who was I to argue?) on the carpet we want for our upstairs.

Then we went grocery shopping (Adam and me, not Emma).  We could shop at Winco competitively if that was a thing.  We have a whole system.

We got home just in time for the Kentucky Derby.  The horse Braeden picked in our earlier text conversation won.

When we texted him the good news, he wondered what he won.

Mark texted back:



I guess Mark's not big on prizes.

Speaking of Mark, Friday evening he said, "I have something for you..."

I asked, "Is it chocolate?"

It was his cap and gown.

It's not really a great gift for a mother, I'll just go ahead and say it.  I hung up the gown in the coat closet and put the cap on Horace.

Everyone else is graduating, why not him?



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails