Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Negotiation fatigue

I taught boys how to play partner tag at recess because all they do is fight when they play soccer.  

I prodded students to get up off the floor when we were practicing our dance.

I tracked down an escapee who was crying outside my classroom door and cajoled him into coming with me back inside the school.

I hustled a girl along who was s l o w l y working on her test.

I listened to a student tell me all about how she didn't need to do the prewriting activity because she "already knew everything."

I pushed another student to include more details in his story of "Spiderman had no money for a suit so he went to the store and bought a suit."

But how did he get the money?

I debated with another student whether a bin was dark brown or black.  Then I realized what I was doing and said, "it doesn't matter."

All day I negotiate with students to get back to their seats and complete their work.

I came home and to answer Mark's question, I told him dinner was leftover meatloaf on onion rolls Adam had bought along with arugula and horseradish.  (It's delicious!)  Mark hates meatloaf.

I told him it was exactly the same as meatballs and he likes meatballs. He argued back and I finally said, "I don't care.  Eat whatever you want."

There comes a point when I don't have it in me any longer.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails