Pages

Friday, May 21, 2021

Grateful Friday

School has been hard lately.  It has felt less like teaching and more like babysitting.  Our main thing has been preparing for the dance festival.  My students are at best unwilling and at worst lying down on the grass in total mutiny.

I bribe them with candy, which kind of helps.

The other teachers are way more into it than I am.  Almost every day I feel like I am among people who get me, but occasionally, like on Halloween or now with the dance festival, I feel like who are these people?!?

Yesterday one of my students asked me if she could stay in for lunch recess because she has terrible allergies.  I told her sure.  She started chatting with me and she said that her parents were asking her about 3rd grade and she said that all the other teachers she's had would get frustrated when the students wouldn't listen but that I never did.

She said, "You never get mad."

At my ten year high school reunion, my high school drama teacher dramatically asked (is there any other way for high school drama teachers to talk?), "Thelma, tell me you're still acting!"

Well, apparently I am.

Because sometimes I feel like my eyes are going to bulge out of my face from the effort it is taking to maintain a pleasant expression.

I mostly don't get too mad though.  I mostly love my job and I'm grateful for that.

I'm also really (really) looking forward to summer.


1 comment:

Mark Dahl said...

I think you're doing great, Thelma. It is good to be pleasant. I'm proud of you and glad that those students have you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails