Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2021

Introverts unite! (separately)

Braeden and Anna gave me the book Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.  Back when I was breaking up with Facebook (the separation is pretty much complete now), I took it to school, thinking I would read the book when I was eating lunch instead of scrolling on my phone.

I was kidding myself though.  I don't really scroll on my phone all that often while I eat because I'm usually one-handed trying to get work done while I'm eating with the other hand.  It was a noble idea, but I never really read during lunch.

Kate saw the book on my desk though.  She said, "I love that book!"

We are a third grade team of introverts.  Some teams eat lunch together in the faculty room and the third grade team goes to their individual classrooms and shut the door.  It works for us.

I'm newly on the leadership team, taking over for Kate who is starting a new role.  We were talking after the meeting and I was asking her advice about being on the leadership team.  She said, "I have imposter syndrome so I never feel like I belong at first.  That's how I feel with this new role too."

I felt heard and seen.  I've never named that feeling before, but I've felt it.  My default is to think I don't belong in a new place.  Extroverts everywhere probably think that's crazy, but there it is.  The feeling usually doesn't persist very long (depends on the place though).  

When I got home, I told my friendly neighborhood introvert, Emma.  She said, "Oh yeah.  Completely."

We're all in this together.  Awkwardly navigating and feeling uncomfortable.  It's nice to have each other.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails