Pages

Monday, June 21, 2021

The ups and downs

The downs:

Living in a construction zone is not for the faint of heart.  We can't find anything.  Everything's a mess.  Things like that.  Also, we're in a heat wave and it feels like the sun is trying to kill us.  And Mark's had lots of problems with his diabetic equipment.  It is so great when it works and so not great when it doesn't.

We went to IKEA twice during the weekend.  Our house isn't the only thing that's a mess.  Our reasoning skills are a little off as well it seems.  Or mine are.  Adam is my unfortunate sidekick at such times.

The ups: 

The parts of our house that are coming back together make me happy!  It feels pretty and such a relief to be back to somewhat normal (in the third of our house that is somewhat normal).

Friday night we went to a Real Salt Lake soccer game.  Adam had tickets from work to the executive suite again.  Am I ever going to go back to being a civilian at sporting events?  (I don't go to sporting events very often so it's probably fine.)  We invited the Hills to go with us.  Since Adam is the stake executive secretary now instead of in the bishopric, he misses his friend Bishop Hill so it was fun to be with them.  I wasn't really there for the soccer but as a drama mama, it was sort of delightful.  The players would get hurt and writhe around on the grass in dramatic ways and it would seem they needed an ambulance by the way they were acting, then at some juncture, unexpected by my untrained eye, they would hop up and run away, all anguish forgotten.

If soccer doesn't work out for them, next stop Broadway I guess.

I wished I had some Academy awards to distribute.

Saturday I had the wonderful treat to have lunch with Stephanie.  It was hurried and not nearly long enough but I love my friend!  I miss her.  We caught up as best we could and promised to see each other more when we go to Seattle next month.

Sunday we celebrated Adam in a muted way that should have no reflection on how we feel about that guy. Braeden and Anna were gracious enough to invite us over for dinner.  When every surface of your kitchen is covered in stuff a dinner invitation is a gift!

We played a game around their table after dinner.  It was a new game that Mark gave Adam for Father's Day.  Adam had the rule book in his hand and he consulted it often, like he does.  We sort of figured out how to score but since none of us are very competitive we didn't write the scores down and we didn't remember our scores either.  

We laughed a lot and I looked around the table at our four beloved children and I had two thoughts:  this won't be forever and enjoy this.

I am ignoring late August when 3/4 of them will move away.  You're dead to me, late August.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails