Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Bested

Friday night Adam and I went to American Fork to watch Isaiah and Luke play in a basketball tournament.  It is fun to watch those talented boys and also fun to sit next to Jennifer and Savannah and Boston and also fun to see Enoch's shiny gold Nikes.  I asked him if that was a nod to gold mining in Elko.

After the last game, we chatted for a few minutes outside.  Isaiah, who had just run seamlessly up and down the court like it was nothing, was leaning against the handrail and smiling and if I'd just run 10% that much I would have been lying on the ground, possibly dead.

The coach came out with one of the players and asked if anyone had seen this player's cell phone.  The boys minimally acknowledged that they had not.  Two other mothers and Jennifer and I started helping,  the difference between teenage boys and mothers.  "Where did you last have it?  Have you called it?  Can we do Find My Phone?"

Jennifer and I went back into the gyms and crawled around peeking under bleachers.  He had already looked there but we declared mothers had superpowers. 

We were hunting and then Savannah came and told us they'd found it.

"Isaiah found it," she said.

"How did you find it?" we asked him.

"I asked the ref," he said, like it was the simplest thing in the world.

Isaiah had shot ten three pointers in one of the games and he is like poetry in motion when he plays.

I think he could have let us as the mothers have this one thing.  Does he have to be good at everything?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails