Pages

Friday, August 20, 2021

Grateful Friday

Yesterday was another hard day.  I think there will likely be more hard than easy days for awhile.  There is no way around such a big class in a Title 1 school where there are so many needs being hard.  Coupled with the emotions I am feeling about my boys moving away this weekend, I'm sort of a hot mess express.

Here's what I'm grateful for though:  my friends.  We had talked to Jamie about meeting after school yesterday to go over math for next week but then Janelle and I were both very very overwhelmed and we asked if we could just not and she said, "Of course."

She cares more about us than our jobs and that is a blessing.

Janelle and I went in my room to meet about something else and I closed the door because I needed to cry.

Janelle had cried the day before and it's a good thing we are on an every other day rotation.  I'm so grateful she is my good friend.  I can't imagine this with a stranger or a person I didn't really get along with.  We've got each other's backs and we are OK with tears.

Emily, the special ed teacher who has her own really difficult row to hoe in our needy school, came looking for us and couldn't find us.  When she did I said, "I had the door shut because I needed to cry."

She said, "Well, yeah."  She understood.  And I've seen her cry before too.

(Does it seem like these are emotional women?  Maybe.  But they also have the most charitable hearts in the world and nerves of steel.)

Then I went to talk to Courtney who coordinated the aides' schedule and she has been bending over backwards to get us help.  She asked me if we were OK and I said that we were not crying on the same day and she totally got it and said, "That is a good team!"

So it's super hard but I've got friends and that makes a lot of difference.

I also have Adam.  He 100% knows how I feel about this whole family change happening.  Side by side, I can handle it.


2 comments:

Marianne said...

This made me cry, hopefully on a different day than you.

Janeal said...

I teach second grade at Lehi Elementary. I love reading your posts, they validate everything I feel as a teacher, wife and mom of three grown-up kids. I have the largest, most challenging class I have EVER had in my 16 years of teaching. This year has felt hard and overwhelming so far, but I read your posts and know that I am not alone. Thank you, please keep blogging!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails