Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Wow

I feel like it needs to be documented here so that every other hard day in the future will be put into perspective, as in:  at least it wasn't like that day.

The first day of school is always hard.

Having so many students is going to be...hard.

But here's what else happened:

  • My microphone didn't work most of the day.
  • One student had a complete come apart.  She missed her mom and her dad and her stomach hurt and she hadn't had enough breakfast and she hated math.
  • A few kids cried during math.
  • I pulled out the place value blocks and half of them were fraction tiles.
  • My Apple TV would. Not. Work.
  • I logged into the new phonics program and I got an Access Denied message.
  • None of the videos we were supposed to show with rules, etc. would play.  Or they would play without sound.  Or they would play and then freeze.
  • I couldn't find the papers I was going to have them use to create passwords. (But then I found them later so it was OK.)
  • My tooth.  Yes, that tooth, the one I have had trouble with for months, has been hurting.  A lot.
  • They complained all morning about how hungry they were and how long until lunch?!? and then I was told that our lunch will actually be later.  Only by a few minutes, but still.
  • Turns out it takes a long time for that many students to do anything--line up, go to lunch, hand sanitizer, get things out of their folders, stack chairs.  It takes forever.
  • I didn't even get to reading comprehension.  Did not happen.

As a little cherry on top, last night there was lightning and thunder banging and crashing.  Living where we do we get some intense house shaking wind in storms like that.  

A tempest felt like an appropriate way to end the day.

Today will be better.  It can't be worse.  Mark told me that.  I said, "Well, the school could burn down."  

He said, "Yeah, but then at least you wouldn't have to go."

But I want to go.  After such an extravagantly terrible beginning, I know it will get better.  Everything is figure-out-able.  Up is the only option.

And they are very cute!  All of them.


2 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

Hope today is much better. We're all pulling for you and knowing you can do it. Your mom

Olivia Cobian said...

Ditto to what Cor said.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails