Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Nothing lasts forever

Saturday I started boiling water and pouring it into a five gallon thermos on the counter.  We needed safe water so I decided to stock up.  I had two pots on the stove, boiling, and I started tinkering in the pantry while I waited.  I pulled out some things and organized some others and soon I had everything out of the pantry, stopping every once in a while to refill pots of water.

It turned into a four hour long process which in the scheme of things, isn't too long, but for a precious Saturday, I had a lot of other things I should have been doing.

Still.  The pantry looks better.

I was fully expecting the boil order to be lifted Sunday night.  (They predicted it would.) Then I had my hopes dashed when it wasn't.

Adam, ever practical, said, "That's why you never plan on things like that happening when they say they will."

OK, Eeyore.

Monday Emma texted, "Should I be worried the water tastes like nail polish remover?"

I said, "Don't drink the water."

She texted back it was the boiled water.

It had been in the thermos too long and tasted weird.

I put a bottle of sparkling water in the fridge to drink with our dinner but it wasn't cold by dinner time and we had no ice.

Boil orders are the pits.

Adam was off at a high falutin' work something or other so Emma and I made companion shepherd's pie for our dinner.  Mine had beef and hers had not meat.  I don't know what it is but she cooked it all the same.  She decided to be a vegetarian in February and she's still going strong.

One look at that not meat stuff keeps me happily eating animals.

We each filled a 9 X 9 pan with our concoctions.  I traced an M in my mashed potatoes and she traced a V in hers.  I didn't want to accidentally eat the wrong one.

Over dinner we chatted about the origin of shepherd's pie and that led us down an ancestry path.  I checked back on my Ancestry DNA results that had been updated in July 2020 and apparently I went from being mainly from the British Isles to mainly Swedish.

I don't think I could get any whiter so I think either one works.

We were cleaning up the kitchen when I got two text messages and three emails that the boil order had been lifted!  Effective immediately!

Emma and I turned on all the taps to let everything run for 5 minutes as instructed.  Then I asked Emma to help me change the fridge filter.  She said, "I didn't even know that was a thing."

I told her Mark usually did it.  I said, "It isn't a two person job but I am intimidated and need moral support."

We couldn't do it.

Emma said, "Let's wait for Dad."

But I texted Mark instead.  I got him on FaceTime and I showed him how I couldn't twist the filter.  He told me to get pliers.  Then he said, "No, not needle nose pliers."  So I got other pliers.

He talked me through the whole thing.  

I showed him the pantry while I had him there on FaceTime and we were right next to it.  He was impressed to a satisfactory degree.

I was about to hang up the phone and he said, "Wait!"

I said, "What?"

He said, "Will you put the camera back on your face so I can see you?"

So I did.

Maybe he misses me too.


2 comments:

Geri said...

Mark is so sweet. Not missing him is so impossible.

Mark Dahl said...

Sounds like you did well, Thelma. Mark saved us also with our tv problem a few weeks ago.
your mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails