Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2021

Seattle Summer

Back to recapping the trip:  Sunday we went to church and I was struck by how few people in Geri's ward I knew.  I used to know a lot.  It was nice to be there together though, and to see a few familiar faces.  Also, I got to sit by Adam during sacrament meeting which is a rare treat.

After church, Brian and his girlfriend, Sam, and her daughter, Ari, came over and we had lunch together.  

(Brian and Sam were sick Friday and Scott had to work Sunday so we were never all together at the same time, but it was still lovely to see everyone.)

Here's another picture of Geri's:

Sam, Megan, Brian, Geri, Adam and me

Later, Mark said, "I forgot how funny Brian is."  It is true; the guy knows how to tell a good story.

We spent an idyllic afternoon in the backyard.  More games and visiting and good food.  It was very nice to be somewhere where it doesn't feel like the summer sun is trying to kill you.



That evening we went to the Jorgensens for dinner.  David and Leif and Freja and Braeden were all in Utah but the rest of us got together.  

I missed the absent kids.  I asked Emma if she was just going to disappear to Freja's room without Freja.

We ate a delicious dinner and had a delightful time catching up.  Adam had to go finish up some work so he left and Eric and the kids played a game and Janet and I sat on the couch and...talked.

About 11:00, I finally came to my senses and gathered up our kids.

Monday morning I had another playdate, this time with Stephanie.  I went over to her house and admired their home renovations and felt a little sad that their dog, Squire, has died.  He used to join us on all our walks and I liked the little guy.  

We went to Mill Creek for lunch and I loved catching up with her.  Stephanie is just this thoroughly good and calm person and I always feel lighter after being around her.

I also feel better.

When we got back to her house after lunch she had me lie on the floor so she could work on my back.  It's hard to put a price on a friend like that.

They had their own fun at Geri's in my absence.

Later in the afternoon, I rejoined the family and we headed to Seattle.  Our first stop was the Ballard Locks.  

Here are the girls:

Talia, Rae, Geri, Emma, Megan and me

And the boys:


It is always fun to go to the Ballard Locks and watch the boats and the ingenuity of the locks.  We decided which yacht we preferred and watched the seals.


I didn't see fish in the ladder but I know there were fish around because of all the seals.

We went to Pike Place Market which was strikingly empty.  Seattle is just opening up and it's still pretty sparse.

These stalls are usually full and the walkway is crowded:



Here they are at the gum wall (picture courtesy of Megan...I avoid the gum wall because it is the gum wall and that is gross).


This is a picture Geri took.  The mountains were very much out.  In Seattle, when the sky is clear enough to see them, people say the mountains are out.

Mount Rainier showing off

The main event was the Mariner's game.  Here's our group: Jenna (Jackson's girlfriend), Raelyn, Jackson, Mark, Emma, Adam, me, Talia and Megan.  Geri was taking the picture.



I have seen that expression of Adam's many many times on Braeden's face in pictures.  Family trait.

I snapped this pictures of the boys.  They had a lot of fun together.


The Mariners were playing the Houston Astros and yes, the cheaters got booed enthusiastically every time they were up to bat.  In the first inning, Houston scored 6 runs and Adam was discouraged.  He said, "We should have come Saturday when they won."

He is a loyal fan, following them from afar, and I felt bad that his one opportunity to watch them play was going to be an abysmal loss.

The Mariners fought their way to nearly tying the game and then hit a home run with the bases loaded.  It was suddenly a very good game to be at.  If the level of euphoria in that stadium could be bottled up, you could change the world.

The Mariners won and we were happy.  Especially Adam.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails