Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Three day weekend

Friday we had teacher meetings at Centennial Elementary.  It's one of the fancy new schools in the district.  When we met in one of the classrooms, we had major classroom envy.  They had things like storage and actual walls instead of metal panels.  (I can talk to my neighbor, Nicole, in a regular voice through the not walls.)

I realized the difference aesthetically between those classrooms and ours was the difference between having a wedding reception in a church gym or a beautiful castle.  In a gym, you have to put lots of effort into the decorations for a wedding receptions.  In a castle, you could put some flowers on the tables and be done.  

What really impressed us was the coat room.  How lovely to have a designated and separate space for coats and backpacks!  And what a great place to hide children if there was a shooter.  We all noticed.  And it was on the second floor so you didn't have to worry about shooting through windows.  We're all newly into risk assessment.  It was just that kind of a week.  We shared our revised plans with each other.  I think I could move my bookshelf.  I think I could tip over my table.  The real problem was could we get our door locked soon enough and the windows.  

So America, as long as we can get our doors locked fast enough and our blinds closed (although my blinds are currently broken), don't...worry...about the school children.  We've got...plans.  

We're fine.  It's fine.  Everything's fine.

Saturday I tackled trimming some bushes in our yard.  Trimming bushes is hands down my favorite task in the yard.  I don't know how many hints I need to give that I want an electric hedge trimmer, but I'll let you know.

Probably Adam doesn't want me armed.  I'm an enthusiastic trimmer.

We also went to the Downton Abbey movie which we'd been preparing for for months by rewatching the entire series.  We had done our homework and thoroughly enjoyed it.  There were a few inconsistencies and a few way too convenient turn of events but I didn't mind.

Sunday was a nice and restful day.  We had minimal extra meetings which is always welcome.  We only had Emma for dinner because Mark had to work.  So it was vegetarian, but not gluten free.  Because it is always something.  We played speedcheesi, which is a made up sped up version of Parcheesi.  I won.  I mean, no big deal, but I won.

Monday was cold and rainy.  It didn't stop us from going to cemeteries.  We went to the Murray, Sandy, Crescent and West Jordan cemeteries.  I saw all four sets of great grandparents' graves and a lot of great great grandparents' too.  People took lots of pictures, but I didn't.  

Partway through the day, Emma and Mark went to Ogden to see the graves of some of Adam's family members.  We spent the time hitting the appliance sale at Home Depot.  We reunited for dinner at Mod and then home.

I always love Memorial Day and the connection I feel to my kindred dead.  I am reminded that so many of the blessings I have in life are on the shoulders of those stalwart people.  I don't want to let them down.

1 comment:

Geri said...

I have an electric Stihl hedge trimmer and it is wonderful. A battery operated one would be better but it wasn't a thing. Go buy your own or better yet get one for Adam for Father's Day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails